Infographic: A Day in the Life of the Collaborative Economy
Data shows collaboration in the new economy is accelerating.
People are crowdfunding, making, sharing, collaborating, all kinds of their things in life. Some are getting food on-demand, rather than going to traditional grocery stores or restaurants. The world is speeding up, and people are transacting between each other, or rapid-delivery services. We expect this to continue to accelerate as the funding from VCs dwarfs many markets, adoption rates are doubling, and the media has endless coverage over this collaborative movement. To help make sense of this dizzying environment, we attempted to take a snapshot of this world in motion, to try to find out what a single day comprises of.
Infographic: A Day in the Life of the Collaborative Economy (Ver 1.2)
Data Methodology and Sources
Data was aggregated from online sources, first, then in many cases, I asked for clarification from startups contacts that I know. All data was from 2013-2014 sources. Only four of the eighteen sources are from 2013. Some companies declined to provide data, or it wasn’t listed, therefore we did not include. In many cases, data was annual, or monthly, and we divided to find out an average daily rate. In many cases, companies would not provide a daily rate, so we had to conduct this exercise on our own.
- Adoption Data: (far right column)
- Vision Critical and Catalyst Companies partnered to obtain this data, read the report Sharing is the New Buying.
- Fon: Fon Corporate website, Jul 2014
- Etsy: Etsy blog, Dec 2013
- Listia: from recent email discussion with company
- Munchery: WSJ Apr 2014
- Spoon Rocket: Venturebeat, Aug 2013
- Blue Apron: Fortune, Mar 2014
- TaskRabbit: Techcrunch, Jun 2014
- Elance/oDesk: From email discussion with company
- Elance/oDesk: Corporate website, 2014
- Lyft: From email discussion with company
- Uber: GQ, Mar 2014
- BlaBlaCar: From email discussion with company
- HomeAway: corporate website, 2014
- Airbnb: NYT, Jul 2013
- Airbnb: From recent email discussion with company
- LendingClub: Corporate website, 2014
- Kickstarter: Corporate website, year in review 2013
- Indiegogo: Corporate website, 2014
- The Mesh Directory, by industry leader Lisa Gansky lists out over 9,000 companies in this market.
- The Collaborative Economy Honeycomb which shows many of the startup logos
- See VC funding of this market, on a Google Sheet I manage.
- An older collection of stats and figures in this market.
- Full body of work, research, data, reports, and slides.
Contact: If you’ve recent data on your startup growth, please send to me directly at jeremiah at Catalyst Companies.com. You can read the designer, Vlad at TransartDesigns.
- Version 1.1: The Indiegogo data was incorrect, and now reads “$285,714 a day” Thanks Chelsea Rustrom for pointing that out. (Sep 30, 2014)
- Version 1.2: Includes updated info from Lyft, that was announced just days ago. (Oct 1, 2014)